Our division recognizes the importance of research as the foundation of surgical advancement. In keeping with this, our involvement in research activities extends from basic science research to translational and clinical research, including the development of novel treatment options.
Our research projects include:-
- Development of biomaterials for patients with hypospadias and urethral strictures
- Pharmacotherapy for patients with dysfunctional voiding difficulties and neurogenic bladder.
- Studying functional outcome of patients with anorectal malformations and Hirschsprung’s disease
We are proud to have multiple collaborations with medical research colleagues from other centres of high repute, including local, national, regional and international institutions. These have led to abstract presentations at international scientific conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals. We will continue to build on these relationships to benefit both our local and global paediatric surgical communities.
Recent publications include:
- Early experience with universal preoperative and pre-procedural screening for COVID-19 in low-risk pediatric surgical patients requiring general anesthesia. Sii CKS, Lee JA, Nah SA.Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Dec;36(12):1407-1411. doi: 10.1007/s00383-020-04760-7.
- Assess, adapt and act: a paediatric surgery division’s initial approach in a rapidly evolving pandemic. Sanmugam A, Vythilingam G, Singaravel S, Nah SA. Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Aug;36(8):925-931. doi: 10.1007/s00383-020-04704-1. Epub 2020 Jun 27.
- Do-It-Yourself Surgical Simulation Kits: One Academic Medical Center’s Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Malaysia. Nah SA, Singaravel S, Sanmugam A.Acad Med. 2020 Sep 29:10.1097/ACM.0000000000003786. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000003786.
- Home-Initiated-Programme-to-Prepare-for-Operation: evaluating the effect of an animation video on peri-operative anxiety in children: A randomised controlled trial. Nair T, Choo CSC, Abdullah NS, Lee S, Teo LLE, Chen Y, Nah SA, Chiang LW.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2020 Nov 11. doi: 10.1097/EJA.0000000000001385
- Pediatric Solid Tumor Care and Multidisciplinary Tumor Boards in Low- and Middle-Income Countries in Southeast Asia. Othman MY, Blair S, Nah SA, Ariffin H, Assanasen C, Soh SY, Jacobsen AS, Lam C, Loh AHP.JCO Glob Oncol. 2020 Aug;6:1328-1345. doi: 10.1200/GO.20.00284.
- Parental preferences in treatment of acute uncomplicated appendicitis comparing surgery to conservative management with antibiotics and their views on research participation. Kyaw L, Pereira NK, Ang CX, Choo CSC, Nah SA.Eur J Pediatr. 2020 May;179(5):735-742. doi: 10.1007/s00431-019-03555-w.
- Primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children: factors predicting recurrence and contralateral occurrence. Ng GYH, Nah SA, Teoh OH, Ong LY.Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Mar;36(3):383-389. doi: 10.1007/s00383-020-04619-x. Epub 2020 Jan 28.
- Parental Experiences While Waiting For Children Undergoing Surgery in Singapore. Hui WJ, Pikkarainen M, Nah SA, Nah SNJ, Pölkki T, Wang W, He HG.J Pediatr Nurs. 2020 May-Jun;52:e42-e50. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2020.01.004. Epub 2020 Jan 24.
- Time course response of inflammatory markers in pediatric appendicitis. Chiang JJY, Angus MI, Nah SA, Jacobsen AS, Low Y, Choo CSC, Yap TL, Chen Y.Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Apr;36(4):493-500. doi: 10.1007/s00383-020-04620-4. Epub 2020 Feb 22.
- A pilot study comparing parent and adolescent online health information seeking behaviours in elective pediatric surgical situations. Wong SSM, Wong KPL, Angus MIL, Chen Y, Choo CSC, Nah SA. Pediatr Surg Int. 2020 Feb;36(2):227-233. doi: 10.1007/s00383-019-04592-0
- Mahat N, Zubaidi SA, Soe HHK, Nah SA. Paediatric surgical response to an ‘adult’ COVID-19 pandemic. Med J Malaysia. 2021 May;76(3):284-290. PMID: 34031324
- Shireen Anne Nah, Mortality from gastrointestinal congenital anomalies at 264 hospitals in 74 low-income, middle-income, and high-income countries : a multicenter, international, prospective cohort study Articles volume 398, issue 10297, P325-339, July 24, 2021
Kuet Jun Chung, Yen Ming Chin, Mei Shinq Wong, Anand Sanmugam, Srihari Singaravel, Shireen Anne Nah, Effectiveness of table salt versus copper sulphate in treating umbilical granuloma: A pilot randomized controlled trial,Journal of Pediatric Surgery,2021, ISSN 0022-3468
- COVIDSurg Collaborative;Global Surg Collaborative.Timing of surgery following SARS-CoV-2 infection: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia. 2021 Jun;76(6):748-758. doi: 10.1111/anae.15458. Epub 2021 Mar 9.PMID: 33690889; PMCID: PMC8206995.
- COVIDSurg Collaborative; GlobalSurg Collaborative. SARS-CoV-2 infection and venous thromboembolism after surgery: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia. 2022 Jan;77(1):28-39. doi:10.1111/anae.15563. Epub 2021 Aug 24.PMID:34428858;PM ID: PMC8652887.
- COVIDSurg Collaborative; GlobalSurg Collaborative. Effects of pre-operative isolation on postoperative pulmonary complications after elective surgery: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia. 2021 Nov;76(11):1454-1464. doi: 10.1111/anae.15560. Epub 2021 Aug 9. PMID: 34371522.
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative. SARS-CoV-2 vaccination modelling for safe surgery to save lives: data from an international prospective cohort study. Br J Surg. 2021 Sep 27;108(9):1056-1063. doi: 10.1093/bjs/znab101.PMID: 33761533; PMCID: PMC7995808.
Elango Thambusamy, Conjeevaram, Rajendraroa Thambidorai, Shireen Anne Nah, Justin Wang, Srihari Singaravel, Anand Sanmugam : Intra-Abdominal Hypertension in Neonates Following Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Repair: Correlation with Early Postoperative Respiratory and Gastrointestinal Outcomes doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2021.10.029